Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect
with like-minded conquerers around the world.

Notifications
Clear all

The Breakup email

mswitzer
111 Points
Topic starter

The breakup email, what a title hey? Anyone who has been in sales understands the sentiment, others would have no idea what you’re referring to. “How can you break up with someone in sales?” now the breakup email isn't quite how it sounds but, at the same time, it is. The purpose of a breakup email is to elicit a response from a client that has ghosted you or refuses to email or call you back. This is commonly referred to as the hail mary of sales, because it's a last-ditch effort to engage with the client, by letting them know you’re done making attempts.

Earlier this month I had written a discussion post about the importance of knowing when to break up with a client and it was titled Breaking up with a Prospect & Cold Outreach Cadence. In this post, I talked about understanding that your time as a salesperson is just as important as the clients, and when you’re a working a lead going nowhere you're losing time and money. I wanted to give you a template that you could use as a breakup email! As always, happy selling!

Subject Line: Fine line between

Hi (Customer),

I've been trying to get in touch with you to share how we help our businesses expand their digital presence, improve client retention, and accelerate revenue growth.

I know there is a fine line between great service and being too persistent and I don't want to cross it.

This will be my last communication so please let me know if this is something you'd still like to explore. If not, no hard feelings.

Regards,

2 Replies
KatieSalmers
291 Points

I'm always so stubborn and I avoid sending this email until I absolutely have to. But you're right, you want to respect the customer and also respect your own time. Do you typically include your booking link in this last email, just in case? Would you recommend marking or tagging the account in Sales & Success Center so you and other salespeople know they've gone dark?

mswitzer
111 Points
Topic starter

Excellent questions Katie! So yes I do include my booking link when sending the email, just in case the client simply hasn't had the time to respond. Now as far as tagging them, that's an interesting idea. Previously what I would’ve recommended was creating a salesperson in Sales & Success Center and using that salesperson as a well of cold leads. So after you sent that email and never received a response, you could then reassign that lead to your Cold lead Salesperson account. Now the reason I would recommend doing this is that sometimes people just get busy and in sales sometimes a sales cycle can take anywhere from a month to a year. So until you get a no, you keep that lead in your funnel and maybe come back to it later, just in case that client lights up again.